Thursday, December 01, 2005

Prom: A Night to Remember

Friday (25th of Nov):

The night which all of us has been waiting for. The night where all of us had planned, prepared and executed. The reason on why i painstakingly starved myself, overcoming several temptations and lost 3kg! The night which everyone would remember... Our very own, class prom.

But before the night itself, we (the prom committee) had planned everything, from top to bottom, from activities, to attires, to food and drinks. Part of the presentation was the band: Audition Rejects. We practised at Victor's house, and I'd like to give Victor my big appreciation for being the accomodation of our jamming practice. For 3 days before the prom, me, joel, shierly and don went to Vic's house to practice. We'd practice for at least 6 hours a day! At first, everything was terribly messy. There was no coordination among the instrumentalists, and we didnt know where to start. Daniel had no idea about bass guitar so we were like in grade 1! We decided to play barbie girl (punk version) first cuz it'll be our first song for our performance. I thought it was easy since the song was less than 2 mins, but i was wrong! The song was just less than 2 mins because it was very fast! My tempo and joel's tempo couldnt coordinate. I was too fast but trying to slow down, but he was normal, but trying to increase the tempo, in the end, our tempo really couldnt meet. So what i did was to tell joel to maintain his normal tempo and let me adjust to him. We managed to fix our tempo on day 2, but at the same time, we were about to complete Leaving on a jet plane (punk version). And was starting on Ultimate. Everything went as schedule and not much pressure was in us. But it wasnt the pressure, sure we had sufficient time, but the work is just a lot! 3 songs may sound easy but learning how to play it in a band is like hell! There was always this time where at least one of us would make a mistake and the standard proceedure was to repeat that part, but since we were fed up already, we would just ignore it and carry on. Shierly had no mic during our practice so she would shout/sing on the top of her lungs just so the instrumentalists could here her voice and know where we were. Some point in day 2, she strained her voice. As a result, the instrumentalists would sing along as well so that none of us would get lost.
Other than the band, i still needed to manage a lot of things. I volunteered myself to check on the hotel with Natalia cuz i wanna learn more stuffs. Before the band practice, i met natalia on one of the 3 days and checked the hotel out again. We asked the person in charge of the ballroom questions and inquired about the sound and light systems. And then, we were informed that they wouldn't provide any light system so as soon as the both of us finished with the hotel, we immediately went to Lucky Plaza to search for a shop that sells disco lights. We found one but the stuffs there are too expensive. Furthermore, if we'd buy those stuffs, we would only use it once and it wont be worth it. In the end, we decided to buy just one. The one with the flashy stuff. After that i headed to Vic's house to jam. The hotel management also informed us that only people above 18 can book a hotel room... So here i am again, taking advantage of my beautiful age!
The day came, friday, 25th of Nov. In the morning, we went to Vic's house again to do some last minute reahersals. We polished everything for all the songs and after that, we went straight to Carlton Hotel. Don's parents help in transporting the instruments, but i held on to my guitar because the SUV was full. I entered the hotel with the guitar on my back, and i really felt like a rock star! I was so cool! We booked for the day time room so that we could prepare ourselves. Then, one by one, my classmates came. I went down the ballroom to set up our stuffs and do sound checks t0 blend our sounds properly. When everything was done, I went up to the room to groom myself. Everyone in the room was very busy fixing their hairs, suiting up, and looking at themselves in the mirror! It was so hectic! And then the moment came. I went to the girl's room and fetched my partner. Netty was stunning! She wore a black dress and she was hot! I ushered her to the ballroom and we stayed outside the esplanade room to take pictures. Although hot, we still endured the outdoor temperature because photo taking sessions are always important to our class. After that, we went in and sat on the round tables. Samantha and Victor were the MC's and they entertained us, and then some of the girls made their performance by singing. But my most anticipated part was of course, the band! When the MC's announced that we were the next to perform, i was still eating my sushi! I went up the stage chewing the sushi in my mouth! And then as i was about to plug my amplifier to the electric plug, i realized that i left the adaptor in the room. I told Shierly about it and she said something like: "Er.. this idiot left the adaptor in the room! In the mean time, Netty, Samantha and I are gonna sing a song to you." I dashed to our room and got the stupid adaptor. When i returned, they were still not done singing, so i installed the adaptor and waited for them to finish. When they were done, we positioned our stance on stage and were ready to rock! Joel made his queue and then awesome sounds from our guitars boomed across the room! We sang barbie girl and i was so hyper on stage! After the song, me and joel were reluctant to exit the stage! He was still playing some beats and i was till palm muting my guitar! And then after that, the girls performed again. They sang a chinese song. After them, it was my turn. Joel and I made a number. I played the accoustic guitar and sang Tears in Heaven, while Joel played the drums. For the first try, i sang quite smoothly, but the very low temperature of the room made my fingers stiff. And then, terror came.. My fingers hardened and then i cocked up. I missed a note and then i stopped singing. Joel looked at me puzzled. I said over the mic: "Err.. sorry, take two, NG!" Then everyone laughed! The second try, it was a bit better, but i feel that i still sucked! I was better during practice than in my performance, but i think i messed up because i was nervous. After that, Audition Rejects performed again. Leaving on a jet plane and Ultimate. Again, i was very high on stage and i started jumping around! After the Ultimate, the class requested for an encore, so we performed again! I feel very extatic becuase i really felt that we rocked! And it was my first performance to be very successful!
After the band, the dance floor opened and the boys and girls partnered themselves. We danced several slow songs. I danced with Netty for a while and then we changed partners. I danced with Net, Nat, Gwen, Hsiu Ya, Samantha. I think i missed out someone. After that came the fast song. We set up the flashy light system and the formal ballroom transformed into a nightclub! After that, we watched a video clip made by Wei Rong and it was brilliant! The video clip was so great that some of us cried! After that, we made our way to our room. Nat and I went to 7-11 to buy some alcohol, and headed back. I drank a lot and i got drunk! My weakness when im drunk is that i keep on drinking and drinking till i drop dead! I passed out and slept even though the room was very chaotic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon! How you doing?
Still remember the details of prom huh? Lol. It's memorable.
Btw, don't get drunk too often in Phils dude. You look funny when you're drunk. Take care.

Anonymous said...

haha...cool night ha...wish we can have another night of prom...haiz..but we enjoyed it...and it's really nice...btw...when u're drunk...u're really....funny..hahaha