Monday, October 24, 2005

2 Days of Coolness

Hey! Its been a while since i posted some words here.. And now, i have tons of things to write, i dont even know where to start! And now, since my thoughts are inorganised, somewhere in the middle of this post, i'll have a mental block and i'll forget everything! Lemme start by recounting the things happened last friday, 21st of October.

Friday:
Hmm.. graduation day.. When i first thought of the word graduation, i thought of grand ceremony with tons of decorations and expensive set ups of tables and chairs, with photographers here and there and teachers dressed like they are attending the oscars award, and parents overly decorated with jewelries, pearls, diamonds, gold, clad in thousand dollar plus dress and suits, and graduating students clothed with sleek suits and shiny leather shoes. But, i guess my imagination was rather excessively vivid. That kind of stuff only happens in the Philippines, and i guess im now in Singapore, my expectations should tone down a big notch, since socialiaty isn't a trend in this place. Nonetheless, i still attended the graduation ceremony. It was not what i expected, but its alright since im now in a different place. After the graduation ceremony, we headed to orchard road to find us (the big battalion of 4E) a restaurant big enough to accomodate us. We hopped from mall to mall, searching for THE restaurant, but unfortunately, we couldnt find any. Every restaurant was packed! Well, its quite inevitable since we were in orchard on friday night! After a decade of scouring, we gave up and decided to order and eat pizza in Natalia's condomenium. We went there by public transpo (unlike last time when we rode a taxi) and when we reached, everyone was very very hungry. The pizza arrived around 20 mins later and we devoured the poor little italian pie! We also ravaged over the pitiful chicken legs.. Those people are barbarous! Well, ok, im guilty, i was one of them, and i ate 5 slices of pizzas and 6 pieces of chicken legs! After that, we took tons of photos and went home exhausted.


Sunday:
The day of the HSBC Wakeboard Worldcup Competition. The venue: Bedok Reservoir... Just across my house!!! Damn im so lucky! At around 12 noon, i went down with my sisters and my dad and my board. While i was strolling down the road towards the reservoir, i carried my board proudly, awared that the passers-by are eyeing at me (well, ok, maybe not at me alone.. both at my board and me! They are not just looking at my board!). My sisters were laughing because almost everyone, including the people in theis cars, were looking at me! I feel so high! When we reached the reservoir, we settled at a spot. My dad circled the place around without us, and when he returned, he carried with him handfuls of freebies from HSBC and oakley- posters and stickers and other stuffs. We stood at a spot that seems like a walk way for the pro-stars to walk in and out of their tent. Suddenly, Jeff Weatherall, 2003, 2005 world champion from New Zealand, walked by. I wasn't sure if it was him because i was used to seeing him from afar, so i softly said "Jeff, Jeff" and when he looked at me, then i was sure that it was really him. I asked him if i could have his autograph and brought my board on top of the railings. He signed it and my sister took pictures of us. 30 mins later, Another wakeboarder walked by. Daniel Watkins, an australian who is the best decorated rider winning tons of awards from competition, was walking towards me wearing his pink board shorts. I called his name, this time confident because I've seen him in the net and wakeboard magazines. Again, he signed my board and took photos. After about an hour, another one came. 16 yr old Philip Solven from america, 1st place in the HSBC Wakeboard worldcup competition in 2004. Again, he signed my board and took pictures. He said "Thats a cool board you have there!" Then i said "Haha, its an old board." Wow! He likes my board! Im so flattered! haha!
We watched the competition from 12 noon to 6 pm.. 6 hours under the unforgiving sun! No wonder the pros looked like barbecued lobsters! Well, me either.. i was turning into one. At the end, they announced the winners of the competition. 1st Place is Philip Solven (Again); 2nd place is Jeff Weatherall; 3rd Place is Dan Knot (British rider).. Unfortunately, Daniel Watkins is in the 4th place because his board cracked after doing a big trick in between the run. He needed to change his board within 3 mins, or else he will be disqualified. He made the 3 mins limit but in the middle of his run, his bindings (boots attached to the board) went loose, and decided to call it off. I was disappointed of course cuz he's one of my favourite riders.
When i went home, my face was red and my arms are now two-toned. My upper arm is white and my lower arm is red. But the torture of the sun was worth it because in return, i had the very rare autographs and pics. Its an unforgettable moment for me.

0 comments: